We found this recipe from Bon Apetite a few years ago for my husbands birthday dinner celebration and it was such a hit we have to bring it out during cherry season. We're going to make it this weekend as it's perfect for a July 4th Celebration too! Give it a try you will not be sorry.
Charred Bread with Ricotta and Cherry Salsa
- 3 spring onions, preferably red, white/red and green parts separated, thinly sliced on a steep diagonal
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 ounces fresh cherries (about 2¼ cups), pitted, cut into ⅓-inch-thick slivers
- ½ cup olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced in half lengthwise
- 12 ounces whole-milk fresh ricotta
- Flaky sea salt
- Add spring onion greens, cherries, and ½ cup oil to bowl and toss gently again to incorporate; season cherry salsa with kosher salt and pepper.
- Prepare a grill for medium-low heat. Brush cut sides of baguette with oil. Grill, cut sides down, until bread is toasted and golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Let toasts cool for a minute, then spread generous amounts of ricotta over both pieces. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Cut each half on a diagonal into 6 pieces. Arrange on a platter and, using a slotted spoon, top with cherry salsa.
- Do Ahead: Cherry salsa can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
Here's the original recipe: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/charred-bread-with-ricotta-and-cherry-salsa